Baking has been a fan-favorite activity while staying safe at home, so we thought we’d share one of our favorite Açaí recipes to bake with you! Check out this delicious Gluten Free Açaí Berry Almond Crisp by @fitlivingeats! Made with Sambazon Açaí, of course, along with some other natural ingredients like berries and oats, this recipe can be prepared in less than an hour. It’s the perfect healthy dessert to share with your quarantine crew!
This Gluten Free Açaí Berry Crisp is made in two parts: the base and the crisp. One of the main ingredients of the base is our Sambazon Pure Unsweetened Frozen Açaí Packets. These packets are made with pure organic (and Fair Trade) Açaí puree. It’s full of healthy antioxidants, fibers and omegas! The second main ingredient of the base is mixed berries. Here is where you get to pick and choose what flavors you want to include! We recommend raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. Both raspberries and blackberries are rich in nourishing fibers while strawberries provide immune-boosting Vitamin C.
The crisp of this recipe is made primarily with oats* and almonds. Oats are rich in fiber and magnesium while almonds are a great source of plant protein and antioxidants. Fun fact: much of the antioxidants in almonds are concentrated in the brown layer of skin! Both ingredients will add to the crumbly crunch that really brings this Gluten Free Açaí Berry Crisp together.
Now that you know a little more about the ingredients that go into this amazing recipe, it’s time to make it yourself! Follow the ingredients and instruction list below:
Gluten Free Acai Berry Almond Crisp
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook time: 35 Minutes | Ready In: 50 Minutes | Yield: Serves 6
Ingredients for the Base
4 Cups Mixed Berries, frozen
¼ Cup Maple Syrup
2 Tbsp Arrowroot Starch
1 Lemon, zested and juiced
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Ingredients for the Almond Crisp
½ Cup Old Fashioned Oats
½ Cup Sliced Almonds
¼ Cup Almond Meal
3 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
¼ Tsp Salt
¼ Cup Coconut Oil, solidified at room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the thawed Sambazon Pure Unsweetened Frozen AçaÍ Packets, frozen mixed berries, maple syrup, arrowroot starch, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir to mix well.
3. In a small mixing bowl, add the oats, sliced almonds, almond meal, coconut sugar and salt. Stir to combine. Add the coconut oil and mash into the mix with a fork until crumbly.
4. Pour the berry mixture into a 9x9 square baking dish. Crumble the oat mixture on top. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on top.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving. Serve as is or with a scoop of your non-dairy ice cream of choice on top.
And there you have it! A delicious, healthy dessert. So easy to prepare and absolutely worth it. Try it out and let us know what you think in the comments below. And, don’t forget to share your Gluten Free Açaí Berry Crisp creations with us by tagging @sambazon and @fitlivingeats!
*Check that your oats are gluten free